Too many moms these days give up trying to get healthy food into their young children (or even their older ones). It feels like one day these little ones will try anything and as soon as a parent tells someone how much her child likes vegetables he won’t eat any vegetables of any kind. For that reason mothers are always looking for ways to deliciously add vegetables to their children’s meals without them knowing. Here are a few ideas that you might be able to use for just such a clandestine quest.
- Pumpkin tropical fruit smoothie
- Sweet potato French toast
- Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins
- Spread a layer of pureed sweet potato under the peanut butter on a sandwich. This also works well with grilled cheese.
- Mac & Cheese made with a sauce that includes pumpkin or sweet potato
Use Spinach or other greens in any of the following:
- Chop very finely and put on the pizza crust before adding the sauces
- Again, finely chop and add to scrambled eggs or an omelet
- Add a few spinach leaves to any lunch “wrap”.
- Of course add spinach or Kale to a smoothie, being careful about amount so that color remains appetizing (needs lots of fruit).
- Pizza Stromboli is an excellent way to add vegetables to a flavor that the children love, pizza.
There are lots of ways to add shredded zucchini to quick breads or desserts. This summer squash adds moisture to many cakes, breads, waffles, pancakes and muffins.
- Add shredded carrots and potatoes to meatballs
- Fried rice with added chopped peppers, peas, parsley and finely chopped broccoli along with your eggs and other seasonings.
- Sometimes children don’t like any kind of seafood any better than vegetables, but if they will eat seafood, make some mini crab cakes with red peppers, celery and onions.
Using these suggestions can make it more fun to watch children eat their favorite foods and less frustrating for moms as they continue to get those healthy foods into the diet.