The Asians have known the benefits of Patchouli for thousands of years, long before the hippies used it for incense back in the 60’s. Even 300 years ago silk traders from China packed their silk cloth with dried patchouli leaves in the 18th and 19th century They believed it prevented moths from laying eggs on the fabric.
- Anxiety – Its sweet and rich aroma is calming and relaxing physically and mentally. Use in a diffuser undiluted or apply directly behind ears.
- Hypertension – this oil affects hypertension through balancing between relaxant and stimulant. That balance reduces stress and thus affects hypertension.
- Fluid retention – Because it is a natural diuretic use this in a capsule for greatest affect.
- Diarrhea – the antimicrobial properties of the oil assist in reducing the symptoms of diarrhea. Again use the oil in capsules.
- Nausea/vomiting – As an anti-infection oil when suffering from nausea use directly on skin to smell, or apply a few drops to your pillow for easing the symptoms.
- Wounds – This oil helps to keep wounds from becoming septic and so is very helpful to have in a first aid kit.
- Scaring – This oil can be applied undiluted so it can be easily applied for use in various skin conditions. This oil promotes cell growth and thus helps heal and reduce scars. Apply directly to scar.
- Wrinkles – Again because of the cell growth it promotes the reduction of wrinkles. Use directly or mix with a pure lotion mixture and use regularly.
- Inflamed skin – This is a natural anti-inflammatory and so applied directly, undiluted to inflamed skin it will help heal and reduce inflammation.
- Sagging skin – In promoting cell growth the oil will help tighten skin and muscles and thus serves as an anti-aging property. Apply directly.
- Body Odor – The oil is a natural deodorant and can be used to assist with some more profound body odor problems. Apply directly to skin.
In all, patchouli oil continues to be widely used in the perfume industry, so it continues as an aromatic for incense or perfume. But it is also important to first aid as appropriate for all kinds of skin conditions and digestive disorders. Perhaps even more popular is its use for the reduction of stress and anxiety to promote peace and calm and great sleep.